Tuesday, April 16, 2013

All Of My Friends

Last weekend was very busy and I was unable to post. The following is the blogpost I wanted to post last week.

This past week was very similar to the week before. I spent most of my time at either Amakhaya or with the Naicker Family. However, this week brought the arrival of Daniel Kolditz to South Africa from Germany. He is also interning with Seth. This afternoon I will be moving into the living space at the Jeshua Community Church along with the four other current interns. I'd like to introduce you to Daniel, Craig, Elzemieke and Robzin the Poet.

Daniel Kolditz is a 21 year old, blonde haired, blue eyed German guy. He is in his second year of Bible College to become a youth pastor. He was on iThemba in 2010 and met Robert Morgano (Robzin the Poet) who recommended Seth Naicker as someone with whom to study. As apart of his program in Germany Daniel has to do three internships; one each year and he chose to study with Seth instead of an easier program incountry and with YFC (Youth For Christ). Daniel is extremely friendly and is able to strike up a conversation with literally anyone. He has been here for just under a week but God has already used him to touch my life and encourage me. I have learned so much about socializing from his example. I am blessed to know Daniel and I thank God for his life and I rejoice in the gifts that he has been given.

Elzemieke, (EHL-zuh-meek) or Mickey is a beautiful 19 year old girl whose father is Indian and mother is Afrikaana. She finished her matrik (senior year of highschool) and is in a time of waiting for the summer term to begin so she can go study at university to be a primary school teacher. She lives with her family at the House of Compassion; a home and rehabilitation center for men with substance abuse addictions. Her father, Uncle Barney, runs the non-profit home. Mickey has helped me adapt to this culture because of her love of laughter, her willingness to serve and her ability to be very direct. I am really looking forward to getting to know her better as a roommate! I pray for her often that she will have the courage and financial ability to complete her degree. She also has a brilliant mind for languages and can speak at least three languages almost fluently.

Craig Augustine is 24 years old and finishing his degree in Economics. Craig is the Youth Leader at Jeshua Community Church and also leads worship sometimes using his vocal and guitar skills. He is extremely intelligent and loves deep discussion. His favorite quote and inspiration for life is Bob Marley's "Emancipate Yourself From Mental Slavery". Knowing Craig has allowed me to ask myself where am I mentally enslaved and too want something more than that. From Craig I suffer a lot of teasing but I am thankful for the experience because its teaching me to be strong and sure of myself.

Robert Morgano is a young black South African guy who is a poet by nature. He is currently employed at Wits University and works with the international students. He officially interned last year with Seth Naicker but he is such a great guy that Seth called him back to live at the house with us. He has been teaching me a few dance moves and has more than once said something to me out of the blue that was exactly what I needed to hear in that moment. I see God's hand in having Robert in my life!

I am very excited for the weeks of living together this team will have. I continue to thank God for the work he is doing in my life and the lives of those I meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment