Monday, March 25, 2013

I Will Wait

Hello everyone!


This week was kind of slow to be honest!

On Monday I worked again at Heartlines finishing up the database we were working on last week. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday were spent resting and relaxing. Tuesday I went to the Lenasia mall, Trade Route, and saw Hansel and Gretel(not as bad as I expected but not really good.) Thursday I went to the Rosebank Mall with some new old friends (Dieter Botha and Jonathon Abrahams who were both on Team iThemba) and we saw Django Unchained (pretty good, but is blood really that slimy?) 6riday evening at Youth we took to the streets shouting "Human Rights Are Our Responsibility!!!"

March 21st was Human Rights Day, a public holiday that honors the Sharpville Massacre where 60 people were killed when police opened fire without order on civilians who weren't carrying their required passbooks.

Saturday morning I helped Aunty Elizabeth and her granddaughter Tzcheza clean Jeshua Community Church.

Saturday afternoon I went to see Oz The Great and Powerful (very fun and well crafted, the graphics were a little annoying because it was obvious they we computer generated) with a new friend named Yeshika. I spent Friday and Saturday night at Merrishia's parents house who live very close to the church. So, I had my first experience with a host family. It was fine! They were very welcoming and made sure that I was comfortable. It also gave me an opportunity to practice the new skills of conversation I am acquiring.

Sunday, I performed a monologue I wrote in church. I was very pleased with my performance but it needed some better directoral decisions.

Today I am moving to the Amakhaya Home for Children and will spend at least a week there working with the young people and learning more about how others live. I would appreciate prayers for a sharp mind, courage and good sleep as well as motivation to continue pushing myself.

I called home last night and it was really good to hear my family's voices!

Oh, one last thing. I have written a number of letters but have been unable to send them because the post is on strike here! So whenever I am finally able to send them out if they seem a little dated, it is because they are! Also, I might not receive any mail for a while.


1 comment:

  1. Alison we are always thinking of you! Be well and good luck as you take on the Amakhaya Home. They will have much to learn from you...and you from them, I'm sure. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete